If you’re new to the Starbucks game, then you may be wondering what all of the different cup sizes mean.
Which one is small, medium, and large? How big are they? How do they vary from one menu to another? All answers can be found in the Coffee Geek’s guide!
In this article, I will break down all of the Starbucks cup sizes and answer some Frequently Asked Questions so that, next time, you can walk in and order with confidence!
Plus, we’ll give you a few tips on how to customize your drink just the way you like it. Let’s get started!
What Are The Starbucks Sizes?
What Is Starbucks Demi?
Demi can be translated to “half” from French. It’s only available when you order a cup of espresso coffee.
How Big Is Starbucks Demi Cup?
It can hold 3 oz (89 ml), the perfect size for up to 3 standard espresso shots (3 oz).
Coffee shops usually serve a single (1 oz) or double shot (2 oz) of espresso.
This is one of the original Starbucks cup sizes that’s only available for hot drinks.
If you can’t drink a lot and want a standard-size cup of hot coffee, grab a Short cup.
If you’re buying for your kids often, know that the Kids-size hot drinks are also offered in the same amount.
How Big Is A Starbucks Short?
A Short cup can carry 8 oz (237 ml) of fluids.
Despite carrying the standard amount of hot drink, it isn’t very popular among Starbucks coffee lovers. I’ll explain the reason in the FAQs section!
Below is a simple guide to what you can expect what can be added in your order for a Short Starbucks cup size:
- Espresso shots: one-shot (except for Flat Whites, which is still made with a double shot of Ristretto espresso)
- Syrup pumps: 2 pumps
- Teabags: 1 bag
Next comes the Tall, which is another one that belongs to the original Starbucks cup sizes.
It’s available for both hot and cold drinks, including hot coffee and iced coffee.
If you’re ordering for Kids-size cold drinks, ask for a Tall, which is the smallest drink size available for them, including iced drinks like Iced Tea Lemonade.
How Big Is A Starbucks Tall?
The coffee chain is currently offering 12 oz (355 ml) for the Tall cup size. Follow the guide below to know how much coffee you can expect in Cold Drinks:
- Shots of espresso: one-shot (except for Flat Whites, made with 2 shots of Ristretto, and Caffè Americano and Iced Shaken Espressos, made with 2 shots of any type of espresso)
- Syrup pumps: 3 pumps
- Teabags: 1 bag
Grande is the biggest one out of the original cup sizes.
It can be found in any Starbucks menu and is the only size available for smoothies.
What Grande Means In Starbucks
It means “large” in Italian. Despite that, Grande can be considered the most common size at Starbucks.
How Big Is A Grande At Starbucks?
The Grande Starbucks cup size is 16 oz (473 ml).
How Many Espresso Shots In A Grande?
- Shots of espresso: 2 shots (except for Flat Whites, made with 3 shots of Ristretto, and Caffè Americano and Iced Shaken Espressos, made with 3 shots of any type of espresso)
- Syrup pumps: 4 pumps
- Teabags: 2 bags
It’s also the largest size for:
- Espresso-based drinks
- Frappuccino Blended Beverages
- Iced Clover Brewed Coffees, which are single Starbucks cups made with the Clover Brewing System
- Iced Chai Tea
What Does Venti Mean In Italian?
Venti means “twenty” in Italian, which is supposed to indicate that the Venti cup can carry 20 oz (591 ml). But that’s not all there is to it.
How Big Is A Venti?
Venti is actually available in 2 sizes:
- Hot Venti (20 oz/591 ml)
- Cold Venti (24 oz/710 ml)
How Many Espresso Shots Can Fit In A Venti Cup?
- Shots of espresso:
- Hot Venti drinks: 2 shots (except for Flat Whites, made with 3 shots of Ristretto, and Caffè Americano, made with 4 shots of any type of espresso)
- Cold Venti drinks: three shots (except for Iced Flat Whites, made with 4 shots of Ristretto, and Caffè Americano and Iced Shaken Espressos, made with 4 shots of any type of espresso drinks)
- Syrup pumps:
- Venti Hot: 5 pumps
- Venti Cold: 6 pumps
- Teabags: 2 bags
Finally, the Trenta is the largest Starbucks size of all and is only available for cold drinks, except for Starbucks drinks that are espresso-based, Frappuccinos, etc.
You can find a Trenta size when ordering:
- Cold Brew
- Iced Coffee
- Teavana® Shaken Iced Teas
- Teavana® Shaken Iced Tea Lemonade
- Starbucks Refreshers
The popular cold drink Nitro Cold Brew is only available in Tall and Grande drink sizes.
What Does Trenta Mean?
Trenta means “thirty” in Italian, following the same pattern as Venti to indicate the coffee sizes.
How Big Is Trenta Starbucks?
The Trenta size can carry 31 oz (917 ml) with 7 pumps of syrup.
How To Order At Starbucks Like A Pro – Extra Tips
- Feel free to ask for an upgrade to a larger cup size so that the drinks are easier to handle. You won’t get charged extra costs.
- The same can be applied when coffee lovers want to get a customized Starbucks drink from the Starbucks Secret Menu by asking for an extra espresso shot, syrup pump, whipped cream, etc. You’ll pay for the extra ingredients but not the cups.
- Make sure to follow the above guide to check how much coffee the Starbucks cups carry as a bigger size doesn’t usually indicate more espresso shots. For example, Grande and Venti Hot share the same shots of espresso (2).
- If you have any dietary restrictions, make sure to ask for alternative options for that ingredient. For example, when it comes to dairy, you can pick from almond, coconut, soy, or oat milk.
- You can visit the Starbucks website to check the ingredients and information on how many calories, caffeine, sugar, fat, etc. can be expected to be present in the cups. This should be available for most drinks.
What Is A Medium At Starbucks?
Grande can be considered to be the “medium” size on the menu boards at Starbucks, even though its name means “large” in Italian.
What Is A Large Called At Starbucks?
The “large” size that’s so common at other coffee shops can be considered to be the Venti sizes at Starbucks.
What Is The Smallest Cup Size At Starbucks?
The smallest cup size at Starbucks is currently the Short (8 oz/237 ml). The Demi can also be considered to be the smallest size, but it’s only available for simple espresso coffee menus.
What Is The Largest Drink Size At Starbucks?
The largest drink size at Starbucks is currently the Trenta (31 oz/917 ml). It’s only available for cold drinks.
When Did Starbucks Add Short?
Short, Tall, and Grande were introduced as the initial Starbucks special sizing back in 1986.
When Was The Venti Introduced?
The Venti joined the Starbucks cup sizes in the early 1990s.
When Did Starbucks Add Trenta?
Starbucks added Trenta to the US menu in 2011, so very recently.
What Is A Small At Starbucks? What Size Is Tall At Starbucks?
Despite the existence of the Short size, the Tall is considered to be a Small at Starbucks. So if you order a “small” drink at Starbucks, the baristas will likely serve you with the Tall 12 ounces.
Not everyone knows clearly about their naming system, especially the Italian names, so don’t feel bad if you don’t use the correct lingo.
Why Does Starbucks Not Use Small Medium And Large?
Initially, the brand did use a similar menu system to Small – Medium – Large, which was Short – Tall – Grande. This makes sense since Grande means “large”.
But, once Venti joined the menu board to meet popular demand, Short was taken out, making Tall the new Short, Grande the new Medium, and Venti the new Large cup.
How To Say Starbucks Cup Sizes?
- Grande: Gr-awn-day
- Venti: Ven-tee or Vin-tee
- Trenta: Tren-tuh
How Many Ounces In A Starbucks Venti Cold Cup?
A Starbucks Venti Cold Cup can hold 24 oz (710 ml).