Just so you know, if you click on a product link on CoffeeGeek.tv and decide to buy it, we may earn a small commission to help us keep making more awesome guides like this.
If you are exhausted from spending all your budget buying almond milk lattes from coffee shops and want to stop but still want a quality latte for your daily coffee fix. Learn how to make an almond milk latte with me following this easy recipe.
I tend to be very practical about my spending, but I indulge in one addiction: coffee shop coffees, just like you. It all began when I developed an expensive and regular coffee habit in my university days.
No matter whatever I did or will do, I would always go to a coffee shop to purchase a cup of coffee. There’s something extraordinary about the way baristas prepare coffee.
Although I have a few coffee shops I visit regularly; my absolute favorite is Starbucks. I have usually gone to the local Starbucks for three years to get my favorite almond milk lattes.
However, after a conversation with my barista, I realized that my most-loved coffee drink was created using espresso and a particular type made of almond milk. So I quickly began to experiment and make my own version.
I have tried making this recipe many times more than I can remember, and I have all the information and tricks to make the perfect creamy, fluffy almond milk latte.
And not only that, I will share my easy recipe with you to make it both ways; hot and iced latte. Also, I have included some different flavors for you to try!
Pros of Making Almond Milk Latte
- A vegan latte with a delicious creamy texture
- A simple recipe that you can make at home
- No need to buy a separate coffee machine or milk frother
- You can customize the sweetness to suit your preferences
1. Espresso or Instant Coffee: To create a strong coffee shop-like flavor for an almond milk latte, I recommend using a French press.
If you have an espresso coffee maker, then you can make the espresso. If not, you can use a drip coffee maker to make the perfect pot of coffee.
Otherwise, instant coffee can also be used.
2. Unsweetened Almond Milk: Choose almond milk that is not sweetened so that you can have some control over the level of sugar in the coffee. Otherwise, you can also use homemade almond milk.
If you choose to use vanilla or sweetened almond milk, I suggest not adding vanilla extract or other sweeteners.
Certain companies offer barista blend almond milk.
If you can locate it, make use of it!
This will allow you to achieve the perfect density and texture.
3. Maple Syrup or Vanilla Extract (optional): These ingredients are optional; use them per your palette. You can add maple syrup to your latte for extra sweetness or use vanilla extract to add a pleasant flavor to a vanilla Latte.
The two primary tools required to make an almond milk latte are a blender and a coffee maker. Espresso machine, milk frother, milk frothing jug, and tamper are optional equipment that could come in handy but are not necessarily required.
Hot And Iced Almond Milk Latte: An Overview
You can easily prepare a creamy and smooth almond milk latte at home! I will give you all the information you need to make a hot and iced almond milk latte with the tools you already have at hand! I have also added three different flavor combos!
Total Time: 6 minutes
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 1 minute
Ingredients: Hot Or Iced
- 1 cup brewed coffee/ 2or4 shots of espresso
- 2 cups unsweetened almond milk
- ½ tsp vanilla extract (optional)
- 2 tsp maple syrup (optional)
Pumpkin Spice Flavor
- 1 tsp pumpkin spice whipped with milk in step 2
- 1 tbsp vegan caramel sauce whipped with milk in step 2
- 1 tbsp cacao powder whipped with milk in step 2
- Make your coffee by using your preferred coffee beans and a coffee maker.
- Heat one cup of almond milk on the stove at a low temperature. Whisk in vanilla extract and maple syrup if you want to use it. Heat the milk, wait till it starts to steam and become thicker.
- Remove the milk from the flame and pour it into your blender. Cover the blender with a lid, then Blend until it becomes foamy at the top.
- Then pour the coffee into the mug you are using.
- Add the almond milk to the top of your coffee. With a spoon, scrape the foam from the top, then spoon it onto the top of the latte. Now Enjoy!
- Make your coffee with your preferred coffee beans and the coffee maker in your kitchen. Let the coffee cool to bring it to room temperature.
- Mix the almond milk, vanilla extract, and maple syrup in a small bowl.
- Use a tall glass and fill it up entirely with ice cubes up to the top.
- Pour in the room temperature coffee up to 3/4 of the top.
- Then, pour the almond milk until it reaches the top. Stir the mixture with a spoon to mix the coffee and milk. Enjoy!
- You can choose any coffee maker you want; it can be a drip coffee maker, espresso machine, Nespresso, Keuring, French Press, or what you currently own at home.
- You can use any blender to produce foamy milk or use a frothing wand if you own one.
- Use 1-2 espresso shots for espresso, depending on how strong you like your latte. If you are using regular coffee, then fill your coffee cup halfway.
- For the cold/iced coffee, make the ice cubes with coffee If you prefer strong coffee. This will prevent your coffee from getting watered down when the ice melts, as your glass or mug will be filled with coffee ice cubes.
Almond Milk Nutrition
Step By Step Guide – How To Make An Almond Milk Latte
Finally, let’s look at the almond milk latte recipe that I find the best to follow.
Hot Almond Milk Latte Recipe:
Let’s take a look at the step-by-step guide on how to make a hot latte with almond milk.
Step 1: Make your coffee using your preferred coffee beans. I suggest using espresso blend or dark roast blend.
You can use any inexpensive coffee maker you have in your kitchen, regardless of whether it is a drip coffee maker, Keuring, espresso machine, Nespresso or French Press.
Step 2: Take one cup of almond milk and heat the milk at a low temperature on the stove.
Add in vanilla extract or maple syrup if you want to use it. The milk should be heated until it starts to steam and become thicker.
Step 3: Remove the milk from heat and gently pour it into your blender. Cover the blender with a lid, then mix until milk creates foam on top.
Note: Any type of blender can be used; you can even use a frother wand if you own one.
Step 4: Then, pour the mixture into a coffee mug.
Note: If you are using regular coffee, make sure you fill your cup halfway or about 3/4 of the cup (to make a more robust cup). When making espresso, use 1-2 shots of espresso-based on how strong you like your coffee. (remember a traditional latte is made using double shots of espresso)
Step 5: The almond milk should be poured on top of your coffee. Using a spoon, scoop the foam off on top and pour it over the top of the latte. Enjoy!
- Make sure you use a strong cup of espresso or coffee
- Do not burn the coffee
- The milk should be steamed in a pot, and then you can froth it in the blender
Iced almond milk latte recipe:
Now, let’s look over the step-by-step guide on making an iced latte with almond milk.
Step 1: Make your coffee with the coffee beans of your choice and a coffee maker that you already have at your home.
Let the coffee cool down, and then come to room temperature.
Step 2: Mix the almond milk with the vanilla extract and maple syrup in a bowl.
Step 3: Use a tall glass and fill it with ice cubes towards the top.
Note: If you prefer strong coffee, make the ice cubes from coffee. So you don’t end up with a latte that is watered down when the ice melts!
Step 4: Pour the room temperature coffee up to 3/4 to the top. Also, pour the almond milk to the top. Stir it with a large spoon to mix the coffee and milk.
Almond Milk Coffee variations
Although this almond milk drink is terrific in its own right, there are some suggestions for how you can modify it to other popular coffee drinks.
Make sure to increase the foamed milk portion to a minimum of 1/3 cup or glass.
Café au Lait:
Add extra milk and leave out the foam.
Add 1/2 tbsp of foam and extra warm milk.
Make the macchiato by steaming the milk until it’s foamy. Scoop out about 1-2 tablespoons of the foam onto the top (there is no need for actual milk).
Don’t add any milk, and serve it with an almond milk ice cream.
Other Almond Milk Flavor variations
Follow the same steps as above, but whisk the additional flavors into almond milk following the directions in step 2 for both the hot and iced latte recipes. The amounts of ingredients below are for one portion only.
- 1 or 2 shots of espresso or ½ cup of brewed coffee
- A cup of almond milk
- 1 tsp of pumpkin pie spice
- ¼ tsp of vanilla extract
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- 1 or 2 shots of espresso or ½ cup of brewed coffee
- A cup of almond milk
- 1 tbsp vegan caramel sauce
- 1 or 2 shots of espresso or ½ cup of brewed coffee
- A cup of steamed almond milk
- 1 tbsp cacao powder
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- ¼ tsp vanilla
- 1 chai tea bag
- ¾ cup boiling water
- ¾ cup milk
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 ½ tsp honey
Tips To Make The Best Almond Milk Latte
- If possible, use a barista blend of almond milk. Regular almond milk tends to separate when you make the drink, especially when you make it without a coffee maker.
- Utilize a thermometer so that the milk does not burn when you use the steamer. 60C/140F is the recommended temperature. If hotter, you are at risk of a burnt taste latte.
- For additional flavor, you can add sweeteners like maple syrup, vanilla extract, chocolate, pumpkin spice, etc.
- Do not make the latte beforehand unless you plan to drink it chilled or with ice. If that’s the case, it can be kept in the refrigerator and covered for up to a month.
- Best served chilled, chill your latte before pouring it into a glass-topped with ice. If you want, add some whipping cream over the top.
Can you use almond milk in a latte?
Yes! Almond milk has many benefits and helps make the drink more frothy, creamy and delicious.
What are the benefits of an almond milk latte?
Almond milk stands out from other dairy drinks and milk because of its various health benefits. Here is a list of pros
- High in vitamin A and E
- Enriched with vitamin D
- Boosts nutrition
- Combines well with coffee
- Fewer calories
- Lower in sugar
- Low in phosphorus
- Dairy-free and lactose-free
What almond milk is the best for this latte?
The best almond milk to use for lattes is barista blends.
There are a variety of brands, including Almond Breeze, Califa, Silk, and Pacific, that offer barista blends.
These blends are specially designed for coffee use.
The primary distinction between regular almond milk and these blends is that they are thicker, include stabilizers and thickening agents like guar gum, sodium alginate, and locust bean gum.
Is an almond milk latte healthy?
Yes! Almond milk latte is very healthy compared to other coffee lattes and dairy drinks as it contains fewer calories, saturated fats, cholesterol, and sugar.
Can you use another type of plant milk for this recipe?
Yes! You can follow this great recipe using coconut milk, soy milk, or any non-dairy milk to make this dairy-free latte.
What’s the best plant milk to make lattes?
This is a tricky question to answer. It all depends on your preference for plant milk. Some people believe that oat milk is the most suitable choice for coffee drinks, whereas others suggest soy milk is ideal for recipes with coffee. I recommend using the type of milk that you like the most.
How to make bland coffee stronger?
If your coffee tastes bland, it’s most likely because you didn’t make use of a robust coffee. You can have a more powerful beverage by adding more coffee grounds or a more robust blend of coffee.
How can I make foamy milk in a blender?
The almond milk foams up in your blender, creating a fantastic taste. Add the steamed milk, turn on your blender, and let the blades whisk it to form a nice foam.
How do you make froth for your latte without a steamer?
Suppose you don’t own an appliance to steam your milk, no problem! Heat the milk using a pan on the flame until it steams, but don’t overheat and boil it.
Add the milk to the blender and mix it for approximately 30 seconds. It will turn into super-frothy!
What is in a Starbucks almond milk latte?
The ingredients used to make a Starbucks almond milk latte are; almond milk (filtered water and almonds), sea salt, guar gum, sunflower lecithin, sugar, tricalcium phosphate, xanthan gum, vitamin D2, and vitamin A palmitate.
How to easily make an almond milk latte?
To make an almond milk latte, you need to follow these three basic steps:
- Make the coffee using a coffee maker
- Steam the almond milk or heat it at low temperature on a stove and whisk consistently
- Mix the milk and coffee
How can you make an almond milk latte without a coffee maker?
Firstly, add espresso into a coffee mug or glass. Then add the almond milk into a microwave-safe glass jar, and cover it. Shake the jar dynamically until it increases in size. Afterward, take off the lid, then microwave it for 30-60 seconds, or until the foam has grown over the top.
Secondly, use the spoon to keep the foam in the warm milk, then pour the milk mixture into the espresso. After that, spoon the foam on top and drink.
What are the health benefits of milk substitutes instead of whole milk for lattes?
Regular milk and dairy products are the leading source of saturated fats within the American diet. A high in saturated fat diet can lead to heart disease, type 2 diabetes, and Alzheimer’s.
It’s linked to an increase in the risk of developing breast and ovarian cancer, as well as prostate cancer.
If you can limit your consumption of saturated fats using a dairy-free kind of milk, you’ll reduce the risk of developing these chronic illnesses.
Additionally, dairy alternatives can assist in weight loss because they have less fat, no cholesterol, no saturated fat, and fewer calories.
A regular cup of whole milk contains 150 calories, 5 grams of saturated fat, 8 grams of fat, 11 grams of sugar, and 30 grams of cholesterol.
One cup of unsweetened almond milk contains 30 calories, 0 grams of saturated fat, 0 grams of sugar, 0 grams of cholesterol, and 2.5 grams of fat.
How many calories are there in the almond milk Latte?
It depends on adding sweetener or not to the type of latte you are making.
A typical cup of almond milk contains 30 calories.
In contrast, a cup of coffee has between 0 and 5 calories.
In the absence of any sweeteners or ingredients, it’s 35 calories.
If you include one teaspoon maple syrup, you will gain 17 calories.
Making a hot or iced latte with almond milk adds numerous advantages to your coffee cup; rich, nutty, and caffeine-free, it is the ideal non-dairy drink to start your day. We hope you liked this post and discovered a delicious almond milk latte recipe that you could try.