Dalgona latte is a frothy iced coffee drink that has been taking the internet by storm.
I remember during the quarantine period of 2020 (due to Covid-19), many of my friends were making this latte and posting videos of it on Tiktok.
It looked so delicious and refreshing, that I knew I had to try it for myself! So, I set out to find a dalgona coffee recipe and make my own iced latte at home.
In this blog post, I will share with you everything you need to know about dalgona latte, including a simple recipe for making it at home.
I will also share some tips for making the best latte, as well as answer some common questions about this trending drink.
So, if you are ready to learn all about this amazing recipe, then let’s get started!
What Is Dalgona Latte?
Dalgona latte is a trending coffee drink made by whipping together milk, coffee, and sugar. The result is a fluffy coffee topping that is poured over cold milk.
This latte gets its name from the South Korean word for “foamy.” The coffee mixture is whipped until it forms a foamy texture, which is then spooned over the milk.
Dalgona coffee is usually made with instant coffee, but you can also use freshly brewed espresso or instant coffee. Avoid using freshly ground coffee beans, as it will not work as well for this recipe.
I personally prefer using instant coffee because it’s easier to make and results in a more consistent latte. However, you can use whichever type of coffee you prefer.
Why Is It Called Dalgona Coffee?
The name comes from a Korean sponge candy called “dalgona”. This Korean honeycomb toffee is made by whipping sugar and baking soda until it forms a foamy texture, similar to the coffee mixture used in dalgona latte.
The resemblance in appearance and taste of dalgona coffee to the Korean sponge candy is what led to this drink being given its name. However, it’s important to note that not all dalgona coffee contains dalgona the candy.
How to Make Dalgona Coffee (Frothy Iced Coffee Drink): 5 Simple Steps
Like I said before, making dalgona coffee is really easy! Here’s a step-by-step guide for how to make this frothy coffee at home:
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 0 minutes
Total Time: 5 minutes
- 2 tablespoons instant coffee
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons hot water
- 1 cup milk (dairy or dairy-free). If you’re using dairy-free milk, I recommend using oat milk. Other good options include almond milk or soy milk.
- Ice cubes
- Cocoa powder or whipped cream (optional)
Equipment Needed for This Recipe:
- A handheld mixer (stand mixer or milk frother)
- A large mixing bowl
- A glass
- A spoon
1. Add the instant coffee, sugar, and hot water to a large mixing bowl.
2. Use a hand mixer (or milk frother) to whisk the ingredients together until they form a thick, foamy mixture. This will take about 5 minutes.
3. Fill a glass with ice cubes and milk of your choice.
4. Spoon the whipped coffee foam over the milk and stir gently to combine.
5. If desired, top with cocoa powder or whipped cream.
Enjoy your Dalgona latte!
Dalgona latte is a relatively low-calorie coffee drink. One serving of this latte contains about:
- Calories: 140kcal
- Fat: 1 gram
- Trans Fat: 0 grams
- Sodium: 11 milligrams
- Carbohydrates: 33 grams
- Fiber: 1 gram
- Sugar: 25 grams
- Protein: 2 grams
Dalgona latte is also a good source of calcium and vitamin D!
How to Store Dalgona Coffee
Dalgona coffee foam is best used immediately after it’s made. However, you can store it in the fridge in an airtight container for 1 – 2 days.
I don’t recommend freezing this coffee mixture, as it will change the texture and make it difficult to whisk.
When you’re ready to use your coffee foam, simply remove it from the fridge and whisk it again until it forms a thick, foamy texture.
You may need to add a splash of milk to help it reach the desired consistency.
Tips for Making the Best Dalgona Latte
Here are some tips to help you make the best dalgona coffee at home:
- Use hot water: This will help dissolve both the instant coffee and sugar, resulting in a smoother coffee mixture.
- Whip the coffee mixture until stiff peaks form: This will ensure that your coffee foam is thick and foamy.
- Milk choice: I personally like oat milk for this recipe, but you can use any type of milk you like (cold or warm milk). Dairy-free options such as almond milk or soy milk tend to work well.
- Spices: Add a pinch of cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla, or ginger to the coffee mixture for an extra flavor boost.
- Mocha dalgona latte: Add 1 – 2 tablespoons of cocoa powder to the coffee mixture for a mocha flavor.
- Sweetener: You can use any type of sugar for this beaten coffee recipe, but I prefer to use granulated sugar. You can also use brown sugar, honey, or maple syrup.
- Variations: Feel free to experiment with different variations of this recipe, such as iced dalgona latte or dalgona matcha latte. You can also add different toppings such as cocoa powder, whipped cream, or fruit.
- Storage: Once made, the coffee cream will last in the fridge for 1 – 2 days.
I hope you enjoy this dalgona latte recipe! If you try it, please let me know how it turns out by leaving a comment below.
If you like this recipe, you might also like my cold foam iced coffee or breve coffee recipes.
Happy coffee drinking!
FAQs About Dalgona Latte
Is Dalgona Coffee Healthy?
Yes, dalgona coffee is healthy! This recipe is made with instant coffee. Although some people think that instant coffee is low quality, this is not true. In fact, instant coffee is a good source of antioxidants and nutrients that can boost your health.
What Is the Difference Between Dalgona and Cappuccino?
The difference between dalgona and cappuccino is that dalgona coffee is the reverse of a cappuccino. A cappuccino is made with espresso and foamed milk on top, while dalgona coffee is made with foamed milk and instant coffee.
Can I Use Honey Instead of Sugar for Dalgona Coffee?
Yes, you can use honey instead of sugar for dalgona coffee. If you do, I recommend using a 1:1 ratio of honey to coffee.
Why Is My Dalgona Not Frothy?
There are a few reasons why your dalgona coffee might not be frothy. One reason could be that you didn’t whip the coffee mixture long enough. Another reason could be that you didn’t add the right amount of sugar. Sugar helps to stabilize the whipped coffee mixture and prevents it from deflating. If your dalgona coffee is not frothy, I recommend whisking it again until it forms stiff peaks. You can also add a bit more sugar to help stabilize the mixture.
Why Does Dalgona Coffee Only Work With Instant Coffee?
Dalgona coffee only works with instant coffee because regular ground coffee will not dissolve in water. You need a soluble coffee for this recipe, which is why instant coffee is the best option.
Is Dalgona Coffee and Whipped Coffee the Same?
Yes, dalgona coffee and whipped coffee are the same! Whipped coffee is the name for this recipe in other parts of the world, such as India.
Can You Use Coconut Sugar to Make Dalgona Coffee?
Yes, you can use coconut sugar to make dalgona coffee. To make coconut sugar dalgona coffee, you need instant coffee, coconut sugar, milk, and hot water. Add 1 tablespoon of instant coffee and 1 tablespoon of coconut sugar to a bowl. Add 2 tablespoons of hot water and whisk until the coffee and sugar have dissolved. Next, add 1 cup of milk to a blender and blend until frothy. Pour the milk into a tall glass and top with the coffee mixture. Serve immediately.
Does Dalgona Coffee Work With Decaf?
Yes, dalgona coffee does work with decaf! I made this recipe using decaf instant coffee and it turned out just as well.
Can I Make Dalgona Coffee With Drip Coffee?
Yes, you can make dalgona coffee with drip coffee. However, the texture of the coffee foam may be slightly different since drip coffee is not as concentrated as instant coffee.