Taking your coffee drink to the next level is exciting, especially if you combine it with something you also love.
An alcoholic coffee drink is a coffee combined with alcohol or liqueur.
This article will discuss the best alcoholic coffee drinks you must try to have something new in your cup of coffee.
So if you’re ready to take your coffee drink to the next level, stick with me as we drive into it. Let’s get started.
6 Best Alcoholic Coffee Drinks
Here’s the list of the 10 best alcoholic coffees you will love.
First on our list is Irish coffee. It was first invented in 1943 by Joe Sheridan, a bartender at Foynes Airbase in Ireland.
It’s made with a combination of freshly brewed coffee and Irish Whiskey, topped with lightly whipped cream if you prefer.
Many people had drawn close to this beverage after the first sip because Irish coffee has a rich and complex flavor.
It has a great combination of the bitterness of coffee, the sweetness of sugar, and the warmth of Irish Whiskey.
It provides a strong and warm sensation that you’ll surely love while sipping.
Traditional Irish coffee is usually served in a glass mug or a wine glass. This adds elegance and a feel to the overall look of the coffee.
As of today, many coffee shops serve Irish coffee, so if you want to try it, it won’t be hard for you to find it.
But if it happens that you can’t find it in coffee shops near you, you can also replicate this drink at home by following the recipe below.
Irish Coffee Recipe
- 4 oz strong hot coffee
- 1 1/2 oz of Irish Whiskey
- 2 teaspoons of brown sugar
- Whipped cream
- Preheat the mug by pouring hot water and leaving it for a moment.
- Brew coffee using any brewing equipment that you have to brew coffee.
- Empty the mug and put brown sugar in it.
- Pour the brewed coffee and stir it to dissolve the sugar.
- Pour the Irish Whiskey and stir it.
- Now add whipped cream on top, and enjoy.
Espresso Martini Coffee
Next on our list is the Espresso Martini. It was first made in 1938 by a legendary bartender named Dick Bradsell.
It was made to both wake-up and relax the customers while enjoying their drinks.
Since its birth, a lot of people have come to love it.
It has been around in a lot of coffee shops and bars since then because of its strong, sweet, rich, and smooth flavors. It’s a good after-dinner treat that you’ll surely enjoy.
Espresso Martinis alcoholic drinks are made by combining one or two shots of freshly brewed coffee, a shot of vodka, and a shot of coffee liqueur (Kahlúa or Tia Maria) in a shaker filled with ice.
The ingredients will then be shaken vigorously to create a frothy mixture and strained into a chilled cocktail glass.
And just to add something, it’s usually garnished with a few coffee beans or a dusting of cocoa powder. You can also add whipped cream to it if you prefer.
This alcoholic coffee is perfect for those who need a wake-me-up drink or even something to drink after dinner.
So, if this sounds like your cup of tea, you can try it now or make your own at home.
Espresso Martini Recipe
- 2 oz vodka
- 1/2 oz of coffee liqueur
- 1 oz espresso
- 1/2 oz of simple syrup
- Brew an espresso shot and cool it down.
- Get a cocktail shaker filled with ice and pour your espresso shot in there, along with vodka, simple syrup, and coffee liqueur.
- Shake vigorously, shake until it’s well-chilled
- Stain into a cocktail glass.
- Put some garnish of your choice and then serve.
Mochatini Coffee Cocktail
This rich and indulgent coffee cocktail is a combination of chocolate (cacao), coffee, and vodka in one martini glass.
This coffee cocktail is a perfect treat, especially if you like mocha or if you’re a fan of chocolate, but this time you want it with a kick.
Mochatini has a strong coffee flavor and smooth chocolate finish that lingers in your mouth after every sip.
The vodka adds thrill to the overall experience, giving a kick and warmth as it enters your body.
Mochatini is easy to make when you have the right equipment at home. The Mochatini recipe includes the following.
- 3 oz vodka
- 1 oz chocolate liqueur
- 1 oz coffee liqueur
- 1 oz half and half
- Coffee beans for garnish (optional)
- Mix all the ingredients in a cocktail shaker except the coffee beans for garnish.
- Shake vigorously until it’s chilled
- Strain to a martini glass
- Top it with coffee beans or anything you want to use as a garnish
Cafe Brulot is a strong coffee that has been mixed with brandy or cognac and heated in a silver or copper pot.
It’s a traditional beverage from New Orleans that is usually served after dinner time as a sweet dessert or digestif.
It has flavored spices such as cinnamon, cloves, and orange peel.
Cafe Brulot is a French word that means “burnt coffee.” Its name fits this coffee hot cocktail well, derived from how the beverage was made.
It was first made in the 1880s by Jules Alciatore at Antoine’s Restaurant. From there, many people became interested in this drink and kept returning for it.
This drink has a very unique. It has a velvety texture and thick consistency that provides a luxurious mouthfeel.
It has a sweetness but isn’t overpowering, as the deep notes of citrus and cloves complement it.
The combination of these flavors is addicting and satisfying. No wonder many people keep returning for it, and it’s now one of the popular coffee cocktails you must also try.
Cafe Brulot is not an easy-to-replicate drink, but it’s possible if you have the right equipment and the complete ingredients at home. Here’s how you make it:
Cafe Brulot Recipe:
- 2 inches stick of cinnamon
- 6 whole cloves
- 1 orange peel
- 1 lemon peel
- 3 sugar cubes
- 3 cups of hot black coffee
- 1 cup brandy or cognac
- Combine the brandy or cognac, cinnamon stick, cloves, orange peel, lemon peel, and sugar in a large pot.
- Stir the mixture for 3-5 minutes over medium-low heat until the sugar has dissolved.
- Take a brulot bowl and pour the mixture inside.
- Put fuel under the bowl and light it up using a long match.
- Take the orange peel and spirally stud the cloves an inch apart.
- Set it up in a pork and then get an amount of mixture from the bowl using the ladle and fire it up.
- Pour the mixture into the orange peel and allow it to burn.
- Now pour the hot coffee into the bowl to fire it out.
- Pour the Cafe Brulot into a cup using the straining ladle, straining out the orange peels and other spices.
- Serve it and enjoy.
Mexican Coffee Cocktails
A Mexican coffee cocktail is made of brewed coffee, tequila, and coffee liqueur such as Kahlua, and of course, it’s topped with whipped cream and garnished with cinnamon or others.
Mexican Coffee cocktail is best for those looking for an alcoholic coffee drink that is strong and has a complex yet enjoyable flavor.
It has a bit of sweetness and heat that works well with the bitterness of coffee and is overall delicious.
This coffee cocktail is worth trying and very easy to replicate at home.
Mexican Coffee Cocktail Recipe:
- 1 oz coffee liquor
- 1/2 fl oz tequila
- 5 fl oz hot coffee
- 2 tbsp whipped cream
- Combine coffee liqueur and tequila in a coffee mug
- Mix it well
- Add hot coffee and mix
- Add whipped cream
- Top with cinnamon garnish
Affogato Martini Coffee
Next on our list is the Affogato Martini. This coffee drink is unique because of the ingredients it has. Affogato originated in Italy, but the exact date it was invented is still unknown.
However, this coffee is said to be widespread after the invention of espresso machines.
A traditional Affogato is only made with espresso and vanilla ice cream and serves as an good Italian coffee dessert.
However, some variations of Affogato may include an amount of alcohol, such as a splash of liqueur like Kahlua or Bailey’s Irish cream.
One of those variations is the Affogato Martini.
If you want to try Affogato Martini, you can visit a coffee shop that probably sells one and ask if they offer the version that has alcohol or not.
If you want to make your own at home, you can get the following recipe and follow the procedure.
Affogato Martini Recipe
- 1 part of Kahlua
- 2 parts of espresso
- 1 scoop of ice cream, vanilla
- Cocoa powder to garnish
- Coffee beans to serve
- Mix the Kahlua coffee and espresso shots with some ice.
- Place a scoop of cold vanilla ice cream in a glass that you want to use.
- Pour the mixture you made in step 1 with Kahlua over the school of vanilla ice cream.
- Sprinkle it with the cocoa powder, add some coffee beans (this step is optional), and serve.
Conclusion on Alcohol Coffee Recipes
To sum it up, there are a lot of coffee cocktails or alcoholic coffee drinks that you can enjoy if you want a different coffee experience.
Coffee cocktails provide a complex yet enjoyable taste of coffee, so if you’re interested in trying something like this, you can pick one of our recommendations above, look for it in a coffee shop near you, or even try to replicate it at home.
What is the best alcohol to mix with coffee drinks?
The best alcohol to mix with coffee is dark ones like Brandy and Whiskey – view recipe. These liqueurs are best to mix with coffee because it has a stronger and more complex flavor that can stand up to the boldness of coffee.
Is Baileys in coffee good?
Yes. Many people enjoy mixing Baileys with coffee since it adds good flavor and richness. Although we have different preferences and taste buds, many people find it satisfying and delicious.
Is it OK to mix alcohol with coffee?
Yes. It’s completely okay to mix alcohol with hot coffee.