Just so you know, if you click on a product on CoffeeGeek.tv and decide to buy it, we may earn a small commission to help us keep making more awesome guides like this.
So, you’re shopping around for a half-decent coffee grinder but you’re not wanting to break the bank but you to at least get a consistent grind for your brewer or espresso machine.
The Mr. Coffee grinder can make a great choice if you’re on that tight budget, but… how well does it perform? And will it go the distance?
In this Mr. Coffee Burr Grinder Review Here are some tips, information, and descriptions about the coffee grinder before you purchase it.
- Background Information About Your Beans
- How is a Mr Coffee Burr Grinder Different from a Blade Grinder?
- Some Interesting Facts
- Mr Coffee Coffee Grinder Features and Benefits
- What Kind of Coffee Can You Brew After Grinding Beans in Your Mr Coffee Grinder?
- What Coffee Beans Should You Avoid Using In A Mr Coffee Burr Grinder?
- What Are Some Professional Tips for Using This Mr. Coffee Automatic Burr Mill Grinder?
- The Downsides Of This Machine
- The Cleaning Process
- The Main Competitors
Background Information About Your Beans
To fully appreciate your Mr. Coffee automatic burr mill grinder, you should know a little bit about the coffee beans you put in it.
Because of the hard, wood-like surface, you cannot run hot water over a coffee bean to access its flavor.
The coffee bean shell protects its oils, aromas and flavors even through the roasting process.
To gain access to your liquid morning elixir, you must smash, cut, grind, crush or gnaw through the hard shell to reach the flavor inside the coffee bean.
Your teeth will thank you for choosing a Mr. Coffee automatic burr mill grinder to do the job. Even extraction is the key to a great cup of coffee.
A quality burr grinder allows coffee to extract consistent, uniform particles for an even flavor and taste of your coffee.
Poorly ground coffee produces a wild mix of particles with all shapes and sizes. Large, chunky grounds extract flavor slowly.
Powdery, fine grounds extract flavor extremely fast and may cause an overflowing filter.
How is a Mr Coffee Burr Grinder Different from a Blade Grinder?
Once you use this automatic burr mill you will never look at a bladed grinder again. Many people ask what the difference is between a Mr Coffee burr mill grinder and a regular blade grinder.
That is a valid question, as most households used blade grinders for years because that was the only coffee grinder available for home use.
Your nose can follow the pure coffee essence aroma released by a burr mill.
Your Mr. Coffee automatic burr grinder extracts the coffee bean’s natural oils, flavors and aromas by forcing the hard coffee bean between multiple burrs or grinding discs. Usually, burrs or grinding discs are called plates.
These plates crush the beans evenly to create consistent coffee grounds with a uniform size.
Consistent, uniform grounds produce the particle size you want for a great cup of coffee.
Since you enjoy your status as a coffee enthusiast, consider a Mr Coffee grinder as a necessity. Blade grinders produce a great deal of friction. In turn, friction produces heat. Heat affects the flavor of freshly ground beans and affects coffee’s natural flavor.
It creates tainted grounds with a diminished coffee taste. This burr grinder has plates that produce less friction which, in turn, creates far less heat.
Thus, you get more coffee flavor from freshly ground beans than you would from a blade grinder. Heat tends to taint coffee’s natural flavors.
When you love coffee, you want the full flavor that results from consistent coffee grounds with no flawed taste from overheated grinding blades.
If you wanted boulders in your coffee you would put them there yourself. Blade grinders have no way to set the particle size. It really is not a grinder as it is a coffee processor.
Most folks assume the blade cuts the coffee beans. The blade spins extremely fast and throws the coffee beans against any available surface which occasionally includes the blade itself.
This results in smashed coffee beans. The finished mixture is a haphazard blend of pieces, boulders and uneven grounds. Uneven grounds equate to uneven extraction when brewing your coffee.
Under-extracted boulders and pieces lend a sour taste to coffee. Over extracted uneven grounds tend to cause a bitter flavor in your coffee.
If you want to taste your coffee’s full aroma and flavor, your Mr. Coffee burr coffee grinders are a better choice than a blade grinder.
Some Interesting Facts
To satisfy your curiosity, here are a few facts and details about the Mr Coffee Grinder.
This bean grinder has convenient cord storage underneath the unit. Unwind only the amount of cord you need to plug it in.
Your 160-watt unit has dual switches withyou plug in your unit place the bean hopper on top of the
it clockwise until it stops at the Fine indicator for grind size. It will go through several rotations and you will notice clicking as it gets tighter.
This automatic burr mill holds up to a half pound of coffee beans in the removable hopper for coffee beans. Choose one of the 18 different grind settings.
Press the start button and watch your coffee beans move down the chute to the grinding chamber as it works.
When your ground coffee finishes its automatic grinding cycle, take the removable grinding chamber out to pour your coffee grounds into your coffee maker. It has dimensions measuring 8.4(D) x 7.9(W) x 12.8(H) inches and weighs about 4.3 pounds.
Mr Coffee Coffee Grinder Features and Benefits
On a daily basis you will see, smell and taste flavor benefits from this automatic burr mill. Enjoy these features of this coffee grinder add to your life.
- Select one of 18 different choices to grind your coffee the way you like it brewed. Select the Fine Grind for Espresso, Medium to Fine Grind for auto drip coffee makers using cone-shaped filters, Medium Grind for flat bottom filters used in your automatic drip coffee maker or a Coarse Grind for French Press. Custom brew your next cup of coffee using your Mr Coffee burr grinder.
- This machine offers a hopper for whole beans that holds up to a half pound of coffee beans at any time. As a removable chamber, it is easy to clean and has a chute leading to the grinding chamber.
- An LED on and off indicator light lets you know your grinder is ready to use.
- Cleaning this grinder is easy using the built-in scoop/brush.
- Keep a tidy countertop using the convenient cord storage to safely gather the excess cord on your automatic burr mill.
- Use the cup selection dial with the start/stop button for the right amount of coffee ground. The automatic grind settings you can choose anywhere between two and 18 cups.
- It has a stainless-steel design to turn it into a fashionable kitchen accessory.
- Conveniently transfer freshly ground coffee from this burr grinder using the removable ground coffee chamber.
- Using automatic shut-off, this burr mill eliminates speculation by stopping automatically at your chosen portion.
What Kind of Coffee Can You Brew After Grinding Beans in Your Mr Coffee Grinder?
Your taste buds will do a happy dance because the ground beans are suitable from the finest blends to the coarsest roasted coffee.
With 18 separate choices for the grind texture, this Mr. Coffee automatic burr mill is suitable for any ground coffee.
Use the fine settings for espresso or latte, medium settings work best for drip coffee made from an automatic coffee maker, or the coarser settings for French press brews.
What Coffee Beans Should You Avoid Using In A Mr Coffee Burr Grinder?
Most coffee lovers enjoy the pure taste from the coffee bean. You probably will not mind steering clear of flavored beans.
According to the instructions this coffee grinder does not process flavored coffee beans very well.
Flavored beans apparently gum up the inner workings and leave an oily residue.
They turn oily and rancid if stored in the whole bean hopper for a long period of time.
Now, if you crave the occasional flavored bean, just be sure to run white rice through your machine and do not store the flavored beans in the hopper.
What Are Some Professional Tips for Using This Mr. Coffee Automatic Burr Mill Grinder?
- Use only coffee beans in your grinder.
- Finer grounds might cause an overflowing coffee basket. Avoid using the finest setting with your Mr Coffee programmable coffee grinder.
- Do not grind more than two full hoppers without a break or you risk overheating the grinder. Let this automatic burr mill cool down to room temperature for at least two minutes between each cycle.
- Brewing more than two full 12-cup cycles with no break might cause your grinder to overheat. Let your Mr Coffee coffee grinder cool down to room temperature for at least two minutes between each cycle.
- Your automatic drip coffee makers brew basket or paper filter might overflow when using the coarser grounds settings.
- Adjust the settings to medium or fine for a regular or strong cup of coffee.
- Clean your Mr. Coffee automatic burr mill grinder after every third use to obtain the best coffee results.
- When using your Mr. Coffee automatic burr mill grinder, always keep the ground coffee chamber and lid in place.
- After using your grinder, run it empty on the coarsest setting to clear the grinding path.
- If the grinder stops working after running several cycles in a row, unplug it from the outlet and let it cool for a minimum of one hour. Then, plug it back into the outlet. It should work properly.
The Downsides Of This Machine
It is only human to have a few dissenters out of thousands of reviews.
However, even the most popular negative review writer for the Mr Coffee Grinder on Amazon makes a point to say he would still purchase this grinder again.
A couple of themes dominate the potential downside to using a Mr Coffee automatic burr mill grinder.
A low of reviewers state the coffee beans tend to stick in the whole bean hopper. Giving this grinder a gentle shake works to loosen them.
According to several users, they cannot leave the room to allow the automatic settings work in case the beans jam in the hopper.
Another downside to the this automatic burr mill grinder appears to involve the whole bean hopper lid.
The lid simply sits on top of the Mr Coffee grinder bean hopper and is not secured in place. This makes for cleaning up some messy spills.
Overall, reviewers state that despite minor frustrations with their Mr Coffee grinder they would purchase it again.
Most point to the low price of well below $50 as the reason they would buy it again.
The Cleaning Process
According to the grinder instructions, you can spot clean this grinder or wipe it clean.
Both the whole bean hopper and the ground coffee chamber can be removed and cleaned with soap and water or in the dishwasher.
The Main Competitors
1. Baratza Encore
2. Baratza Virtuoso
3. Baratza Preciso
4. Capresso Infinity
5. TRU Grinder
6. OXO Barista Brain
Say goodbye to boring mornings as you anxiously count the hours waiting for morning so that you can grind fresh beans using your new burr mill.
Burr mills are the preferred choice of any coffee connoisseur. Seldom can you find one for this price. When you do, they tend to be flimsy and have limited settings.
The Mr Coffee grinder offers a long-lasting, rich coffee experience. From espresso to French roast, it produces a consistently blended grind for your coffee maker.
The Mr Coffee grinder is easy to clean and simple to operate. It is offered at a remarkably low price for the options available in this coffee grinder.