In this article, I will look closely at Nespresso VertuoLine, especially the Nespresso VertuoPlus machine. Both Nespresso Vertuo and VertuoPlus are single-serve espresso capsule (pod) machines.
The main benefit of this system is time-saving. There is no time to be "depresso" when you own a Nespresso. It is the fastest way to get your cup of joe in the morning.
Other benefits are that Nespresso coffee makers are easy to use, there is a variety of offered pods, the efficiency of brewing, and consistency of results, so no wonder that Nespresso produced so many lines of coffee machines and tried to improve the brewing technology or design with every new coffee maker. Let's look into them, shall we?
My Nespresso VertoPlus review
I love that Nespresso VertuoPlus gives you an option to brew coffee, as well as espresso or double espresso.
Thanks to a precision brewing system and a smart machine, it recognizes the type of coffee pod and adjusts the brewing to it.
Then the machine punches one big and 18 small holes into the pod and spins it 7,000 times per minute, which results in a thick, nice crema, even if the coffee is not as strong as with OriginalLine or as hot as with Evoluo.
The strength of VertuoPlus lies in the crema.
All of this and you need just to push one button. Even the head of the machine is motorized and the lever closes automatically (an improvement from the previous model.)
This Nespresso machine is pretty straight-forward and easy to use and shall you have questions, the manual is detailed and easy to understand.
The design of VertuoPlus is also smart. Its water tank is adjustable ergo fits any countertop, plus it is big (40 ounces) and easy to clean. The used capsule container also has a bigger capacity than other machines (9-10 capsules, some sources even claim 13)
A small minus of this coffee maker is the environmental impact, a missing milk frother (but you can get it separately), and the higher price of coffee capsules.
But you pay for the barcode blend-specific+centrifugion brewing precision and quality. Overall, my Nespresso VertuoPlus review is positive.
How is VertuoLine different from Nespresso OriginalLine?
Is Nespresso Vertuo any good?
With all that being said, I think VertuoLine and VertuoPlus is a good option if:
Plus, the machine itself looks got and the setup takes less than 10 minutes. How to brew your first espresso?
How to use Nespresso VertuoPlus?
- 1Fill the water reservoir with drinking water. Bear in mind the size of your drink (an espresso needs 40ml but Alto needs 414ml of water)
- 2Push the button to turn the VertuoPlus on
- 3If the light blinks, it means that the machine is heating up. A steady green light means that the machine is ready
- 4Place a cup under the coffee outlet. Always bear in mind the size of your drink. For example, if you go for Alto, remove the cup support so your big cup will fit there.
- 5Push the lever up to open the head of your Nespresso Vertuo
- 6As said before, only use Nespresso Vertuo capsules, not the classic ones. Insert said capsule with the dome shape facing towards you
- 7Pus the lever down to close the head of your Nespresso machine
- 8Push the button to start the brewing process
- 9If the light slightly moves, it just means that the machine is reading the barcode on the pod
- 10If the light rotates quickly, coffee is brewing. If there is a steady green light, the brewing process is ready
- 11In case you want to stop the coffee flow sooner, push the button. If you did it prematurely, no worries, you can push the button again and top off your coffee
- 12Once it is done, in order to eject the pod, push the lever up
- 13The machine can be turned off at any point or it does so automatically after 9 minutes
How to clean Nespresso VertuoPlus?
Nespresso VertuoPlus has a preprogrammed cleaning function. You just need to:
Apart from regular cleaning, you should also descale your Nespresso VertuoPlus with a Nespresso Descaling kit. Many times when the machine is leaking, the build-up is the cause. If you clean and descale your machine, it will work perfectly, last longer, and your coffee will taste better.
How to descale Nespresso VertuoPlus?
Many users do it with vinegar but a descaling solution is better.
- 1Turn the VertuoPlus on by pushing the button.
- 2Remove used capsule from the machine, if there is one.
- 3Push the lever down for 3 seconds to turn the VertuoPlus off.
- 4Also, empty the used capsule container.
- 5Now, fill the water reservoir with a minimum of 20 fl oz. / 0.6 lof water and the descaling unit. Be careful and avoid contact with your eyes, skin, and surfaces.
- 6Push the button and the lever down at the same time for 3 seconds.
- 7If you see an orange steady light, you are in a "special menu." Press the lever down once, then push the button. An orange light will blink during the process.
- 8Empty, clean, and rinse the water reservoir afterward, as well as the cup support.
- 9Fill the water tank with water once again.
- 10Push the button for a final rinse of the espresso machine. Make sure that the container catching the water is in place.
- 11If the orange light blinks once per 2 seconds, the process is finished.
- 12To exit the descaling mode, press the button and the lever down at the same time for 3 seconds. A green steady light indicates that the espresso machine is ready, however, wait at least 10 minutes before using your VertuoPlus to brew coffee.
What PODS work with Nespresso VertuoPlus?
Only Nespresso Vertuo capsules work with the Nespresso VertuoPlus coffee machine. You can pick from these sizes and brew:
Yes, with VertuoPlus you can make both espresso and regular coffee drinks! Cup sizes can be reprogrammed, too, from 0.3 fl oz./10 ml to 17 fl oz./500 ml. Open the machine head, insert the capsule, and close the head. Then, push and hold the button until your desired volume. This will pair the volume with the capsule used. However, I recommend you to check the manual of your VertuoPlus.
Plus, all Nespresso capsules claim to be GMO-free, kosher, halal, with natural flavors only, without common food allergens.
There are espresso and double espresso capsules, gran lungo capsules, mug&alto capsules, master origin (Mexico, Colombia), and barista capsules. By aroma and notes, they are divided into fruity/flowery, balanced, and intense.
Where to buy Nespresso VertuoPlus pods
You can buy Nespresso VertuoPlus pods directly on the Nespresso website or Amazon here. If you prefer to see the product before you buy it, head to a Nespresso store, Target, Macy's, Walmart... To look for a nearby Nespresso store, use this Nespresso locator.
Nespresso often offers discounts and other customer benefits, personalized guidance, gives you a recycling bag that holds up to 65 Vertuo pods, plus you can drop empty pods at their locations all over the world.
How much caffeine is in Nespresso VertuoPlus capsules?
Espressos contain between 60 and 150 mg of caffeine (up to 400mg of caffeine a day is safe for a healthy person)
Double Espressos contain less than 200 mg.
The Gran Lungo Nespresso pods contain between 120 and 200 mg of caffeine.
Alto Nespresso pods contain 130 to 200 mg of caffeine per cup.
There are also decaffeinated blends on the market that contain max. 12 mg of caffeine.
What is the difference between Nespresso Vertuo and VertuoPlus?
The main 2 differences are:
What is the difference between Nespresso VertuoPlus, Evoluo, and VertuoNext?
Which is the best Nespresso Vertuo machine?
If you have problems deciding between all previously mentioned Nespresso machines even after reading my comparison and Nespresso VertuoPlus review, it is understandable. All of them have an audience. Here is a quick guide:
If you do not mind a drink that is not piping hot and want to prepare both espresso and coffee drinks, even in larger sizes, with a thick crema on top, go for Nespresso VertuoPlus.
Nespresso company listened to customers and improved the temperature of the drinks their VertuoLine products with Nespresso Evoluo.
However, if you prefer stronger coffee (kind of a French Press taste) and more freedom when buying coffee pods for your espresso machine, try one of the OriginalLine machines.
In my opinion, they are also most suitable for people that like simple espresso or for total beginners.
Not that you can mess something up when preparing a coffee with a Nespresso automatic machine if you take care of it.
The Original machine is just a smaller investment, machine and pod-wise, in case you will not fall in love with this type of coffee and espresso making. I suspect you might 🙂
Have a brew-tiful day and let me know what are your experiences with Nespresso machines? Did you try the VertuoPlus coffee maker that I reviewed? Or do you own a different model?